membership in nmc
NMC members are volunteers who go through extensive training to become skilled counselors. Each member has breastfed her baby for at least six months, receives 21 hours of breastfeeding education, completes extensive reading requirements, attends an NMC breastfeeding community class, shadows on hospital rounds with a lactation consultant or participates in a home visit, counsels moms, and takes a comprehensive exam to fulfill the requirements of becoming a fully trained counselor.
New members serve a provisional period for six to twelve months, under the guidance of an experienced member who serves as her advisor/mentor. New members are often women who received assistance from NMC counselors and want to provide support to other new moms so they, too, can have a successful and positive breastfeeding experience.
to sign up
- If you are interested in joining nmc as a counselor, and meet the requirement listed below, please visit NMC's training web page where you can find out more and sign up to receive updates about future trainings.
- Select whether you wish to become a volunteer or professional member. Visit NMC's membership page for details. Your training payment covers training, materials, and one year of dues (currently $25 for counseling members, $40 for non-counseling members). SEE THE REFUND POLICY.
- Attend our informational meeting in August. You may attend either before or after you sign up. Attendance is not required but is very helpful. RSVP for the informational meeting.
We look forward to welcoming you into our organization and training you to support breastfeeding mothers!
If you wish to be added to our mailing list to receive information about future training sessions, please fill out our form online (not necessary if you are signing up for the fall 2014 training or 2014 interest meeting).
The following requirements must be met for full membership:
- Have at least six months nursing experience with one child
- Attend all sessions of training
- Complete written exam (during training)
- Attend one NMC Board meeting (scheduled during training)
- Successfully counsel at least two (2) contacts under the guidance of an assigned NMC advisor
- Observe and evaluate one NMC breastfeeding class (current schedule and locations on our website)
- Observe one in-hospital counseling session, one lactation session with an IBCLC, one breastfeeding support group session or one home visit with qualified NMC full member
- File copies of your rubella and TB test results with NMC's Membership Chair (required for hospital rounds & home visits)
- Complete required readings: Counseling the Nursing Mother by Judith Lauwers and Anna Swisher, Breastfeeding Made Simple—Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers by Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett and The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman, M.D.
- Pay annual chapter dues ($25, half included in training fee for first year)
- Complete above requirements within one year
The following requirements must be met in order to maintain your membership status:
- Take 4–6 counseling contacts annually
- Attend one continuing education event every 2 years (NMC holds 1–2 per year)
- Keep up to date on annual dues (currently $25)
- Keep NMC volunteering separate from any professional paid work (for example, a doula or IBCLC cannot be paid by an NMC contact).